We're thrilled to be expanding the team at Synaesthesia (say hi to Bee Walsh, our new Poetry Editor!), so we're excited to now be looking for an Assistant Editor to join our dynamic literary magazine!
This position is being offered on a volunteer basis, and will require around 2-3 hours of work a week, stretching to 3-4 hours a week or more during submission reading periods. We want our Assistant Editor to be an integral member of the team, so we're looking for someone with a passion for editing, writing, and publishing new and diverse voices. We welcome new ideas and want you to feel a part of the growing Synaesthesia team.
As Assistant Editor, you will:
- Read, edit and respond to submissions, minimum twice a year
- Collate content for magazine newsletter once a month
- Offer social media support (for those with social media experience – should you be interested!)
- Pitch ideas and commission for blog.
- Must be able to demonstrate a strong understanding of our magazine from a reader/contributor perspective, eg, aesthetic, tone of voice, style, your favourite pieces
- Editing experience is vital (literary editing is even better)
- Must be a passionate writer
- Experience within a lit magazine or similar environment would be preferable, but we are open to those that simply want to start out and take their involvement with the literary community to a new level
- Must be able to commit to 6 months' volunteer work initially.
What we can offer:
- Experience working with an established literary magazine and an awesome bunch of editors
- An interview with you as our new Assistant Editor, a place on our team page, plus sharing your work
- Good chats! Group chats! Emojis!
How to apply:
Please send your application through our Assistant Editor Submittable form by 31 May 2018:
- A short paragraph (up to 300/400 words) explaining why you would like this position, why you would be a good fit for the team, and a little bit about you
- Three of your strongest writing examples (published examples preferable – please send 3 links, so we can get an idea of what you like to write)
- Your details: email address, Twitter handle (if you have one), and website (if you have one).
We are looking for someone to start from June 2018.
We strongly encourage applications from women, POC, those with disabilities, and the LGBTQ community. We can't wait to meet you!